IT Business Solutions – Product Spotlight:
Cisco ASR 9000 Series Route Switch Processor 440
The Cisco® ASR 9000 Series Route Switch Processor 440 (RSP 440) is a main system processor for Cisco ASR 9000 Series. It supports scalable, low-power, next-generation platforms, as well as required by today’s service provider networks.
Cisco ASR 9000 Series Routers offer one of the industry’s highest-capacity edge platforms, optimized for aggregation of dense 10 Gigabit Ethernet and 100 Gigabit Ethernet connections. In addition to a higher capacity and scale, the Cisco ASR 9000 Series offers:
- Distributed forwarding and control planes for higher performance
- Network virtualization technology to provide excellent resilience and capacity expansion
- Modularized system components in both hardware and software, isolating failure and faults to subsystems and components
- Hardware-based signaling for the fabric, providing industry-leading resilience with zero packet loss on switchover
- Built-in redundancy in hardware components such as the route switch processor (RSP), switch fabric, control-plane chassis control bus, and power supplies, thereby avoiding a single point of failure
- Advanced network timing technologies support for precise frequency and time distribution throughout the network
- Extensive selection of time-division multiplexing (TDM) and Ethernet interfaces for flexible deployment in multiservice edge (MSE) and RAN aggregation environments with packet- and circuit-based transport
The Cisco ASR 9000 Series operates in a fully distributed fashion, meaning that all packet-forwarding decisions and actions take place on each individual line card. Cisco ASR 9000 Series line cards provide a flexible programming infrastructure with high-density hierarchical quality-of-service (H-QoS) services, security, and integrated Synchronous Ethernet (SyncE). The distributed nature of the Cisco ASR 9000 Series also presents itself in the control plane. The distributed control plane facilitates scale in features such as Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) and Ethernet operations, administration, and management (EOAM), which improve resilience and provide comprehensive instrumentation.
Cisco ASR 9000 Series routers bring the time-tested and robust carrier-class capabilities of Cisco IOS® XR Software to the Carrier Ethernet edge. The operating system supports true software process modularity. The capabilities of Cisco IOS XR Software allow each process to run in separate protected memory, including each routing protocol along with multiple instances of control, data, and management planes supported. The software also supports distributed route processing.
How to get the most from the product
- Optical networks can be complex, if you find you need help or even a second set of eyes on a project, we can assist. Inteleca has a wide variety of services in optical network design so you can get the most out of your new hardware deployments.
- Likewise, Inteleca can help you protect your networking investments. With hardware support services and asset lifecycle management, you can make your network live up to its potential both now and in the future.
Features and Benefits
The Cisco ASR 9000 Series RSP 440 is designed to deliver the high scalability, performance, and fast convergence required for today’s and tomorrow’s demanding video, cloud, and mobile services. It provides a superior set of features that deliver unprecedented scale, service flexibility, and high availability:
- Switch fabric architecture:
- Active-active switch fabric architecture that provides scalability and high availability
- Multistage low-latency nonblocking architecture
- Service intelligence and traffic prioritization
- Superior network timing capabilities with support for:
- Centralized Building Integrated Timing Supply (BITS) and DOCSIS® Timing Interface (DTI) timing reference systems
- Precision Time Protocol (PTP), or IEEE 1588-2008, through dedicated 10/100-Mbps Ethernet port
- Bidirectional time of day (ToD) with 10-MHz and 1-pps interfaces
Route Switch Processor Types
The Cisco ASR 9000 Route Switch Processor 440 is available in service-edge-optimized and packet-transport-optimized models. The service-edge-optimized version offers a higher amount of memory, which is essential for large-scale comprehensive service deployment. Both versions of the Cisco ASR 9000 Series RSP 440 support service-optimized as well as transport-optimized line cards. Different line cards can be mixed on the same chassis, providing maximum design flexibility.